Monday, September 10, 2012

A Breakthrough

   Coleson has been the most curious, stubborn, difficult child to raise for the last 2 years. He has frustrated me beyond belief, brought me to tears out of feeling completely defeated and pushed me to my near breaking point. He has been my "difficult" child....until he turned four.
   He has completely turned a corner! Don't get me wrong, he can still be naughty, but he has taken such big strides toward being an easier child.
-Coleson started preschool 2 weeks ago and is doing amazingly well! He walks in, hangs up his backpack and coat, gives me a hug and a kiss, and is off to play. He has completely blown me away!
-He went to Children's Church AND Sunday School yesterday with no hesitation whatsoever. He walked in without a struggle and participated in class with no complaints from his teachers!!! For those of you that don't know about our struggles with him at church last year, let's just say that it was less than ideal. We would battle with him every Sunday to get him to go into his 2 classes, and then eventually just give in and stay with him in class, or let him come back into church with us. There was nothing that we could do or say to change his mind. His little change of heart makes my Sundays so much easier!
-He is starting to understand that the consequences that come after his actions make the actions not so worth it. He has really started to think things through and learn from mistakes. At 3, his attitude was "I'm going to do it, and nothing that you can say or do will change my mind!" It was really frustrating!
-He does so many things to help me around the house without being asked or told. He will get the laundry out of my bathroom, empty the bathroom garbage cans, bring my kitchen garbage out to the outside garbage can, and beg to help me fold towels. It's honestly the sweetest thing.

   I feel like I've spent so much time venting about Coleson; either on the blog, or to some of you in person. I figured it was only fair to update all of you on the progress that this sweet little boy has made. So many people have encouraged me over the years and ensure me that "it will get easier" or "one day it will click", and I'm happy to say that they were right!
   I will say that we still have a ways to go in some areas, and he is by no means a perfect child, but we have had a breakthrough! I'm happy to say that today I am going to celebrating the progress that Coleson has made, and thank God for this little boy and how much he means to us!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

YEAH! ! ! He has such a good heart when you look past all the mischeif he causes.

Mackenzie said...

I am so proud of you Ashley for holding strong. YEAH Coleson. Auntie Kenzie loves you so very much.

Melissa said...

Yeah Coleson! He's doing great in school and being a good helper for you.... that's awesome!! I'm glad that the boys are really enjoying pre-school. They're both smart, fun, and adorable little guys. :)